Monday, October 15, 2007

18.MyISERN-1.1

Project download and wiki pages available at:
http://code.google.com/p/myisern-1-ivory/

We completed all tasks assigned to us.

Difficulties
In this section of the assignment, our project grew a great deal. Our structure may be overly complicated and is becoming much more difficult to manage. However, it deals with the problem quite well and has been tested enough that I have confidence it will be quite difficult to break.
One difficulty was the command-line parser. I first considered this to be one of the easiest components, but with some confusion and trying to get enum to work, it because rather annoying. Overall the project went quite smoothly and we completed all tasks without too much trouble.

Teamwork
In this phase we worked well together. Early on we defined all of the issues and components needed so we could more easily break up the work. On Thursday we met at the library and in a few hours were able to design and implement most of the system. After that we kept in contact with Skype and email. I think the issue driven design works very well.

Lessons learned
There were several times in this assignment when I realized how much more comfortable I am becoming with Java and the tools we are using. I can see I am also becoming much better are creating test cases. Just the experience of continually working on this project is teaching me a lot about software development.
I also learned how valuable a project outline is. The issue feature on Google projects provided my team with a way to easily outline the project and efficiently divide up work. I will definitely use this type of method in future group efforts if possible

No comments: